How Can You Prevent Frozen Pipes
Tips to prevent frozen pipes
Water Damage from Frozen pipes is our most frequent source of winter homeowners claims
They’re messy, terribly inconvenient and very expensive… Yet easily preventable
5 steps you can take to right now to avoid a pipe freeze:
- Keep your thermostat to at least 60 degrees throughout the house during extended sub-freezing temperatures.
- Leave bathroom or kitchen cabinet doors that run along outside wall open so that warmer air can circulate through them (be mindful of pets and small children if chemicals where chemicals are stored).
- Exterior faucets for hoses and irrigation should be shut off from inside the home.
- Still water freezes faster than running water. During periods of low usage and on frigid nights, turn on a faucet at the highest point in the home. Keep the stream low, so that only a small amount can trickle through any section of pipes running through cold spaces.
- If you are going to be away from home for an extended period, arrange for someone to check the house daily. Make sure the location of the main water shut-off valve is well known.
If you have a frozen pipe:
Call your plumber immediately. Once a pipe thaws, there is a chance it could burst
Permanent steps you can take:
- Install an automatic shut-off system designed to stop leaking water when water accumulation is detected. Your plumber can help you with this. We can also get you a list of devices.
- Add several ‘low-temperature sensors’ to your central station alarm system, especially in remote areas of your home.
If you have water damage:
Please check out our previous blog titled “Tips on What to do After a Water Claim”
- Call an emergency service restoration company asap. They facilitate initial clean up and start the dry-out process with the right equipment.
- Move undamaged items away from the affected area.
- Call your insurance agent or homeowners insurance company to report the claim
Huff Insurance is a full service Independent Insurance Agent We have been dedicated to Protecting Lifestyles™ since 1960. We offer a full array of Personal Insurance, Commercial Insurance and Life Insurance & Health Insurance products. Call us at 410-647-111