When a Patient’s health goes from bad to worse…..Don’t be the cause or the scapegoat
The Home Health Care industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the U.S. Here at Huff Insurance we want to help you customize your home health care insurance plan based on how your individual business runs. Home health care workers provide care to patients with health issues, leading to the potential for concern if the patient takes a turn for the worse. Home health care providers can vary in the services that they offer; it can be any of the following
- Skilled Home Health Provider
- Non-Skilled Home Health Provider
- Physical Occupational and/or Speech Therapy
- Home Health Aid / Home Healthcare Aid
- Basic Assistance (Home Healthcare Assistant)
- Companion Care / Sitters (Adult Day Care)
- Nutritional Support Aid
- Transportation Support Aid
A home health aid is a person who carries out healthcare tasks in a patient’s home under the supervision of a nurse or doctor. Since this person will generally be working independently, it is very important that you screen them during the hiring process. Here are some tips:
- Review the completed employment application
- Conduct in –depth personal interview
- Verify their education and previous work history
- Verify their references
- Conduct an criminal background check
- Perform a health screening
- Review the Office of Inspector General’s lists of Excluded individuals/entities https://exclusions.oig.hhs.gov/
Depending on the level of care that you provide, you need a home healthcare insurance program specifically designated for your needs. Huff insurance offers comprehensive home health care insurance coverage for your business at very competitive pricing.
Some of the insurance coverage that you need for your home health care business is as follows:
- General Liability Insurance Coverage: Provides coverage for on premises and off premises for property damage and bodily injury to others as a result of the liability of your employees or independent contractors. Abuse and Molestation is usually available to be added on to the coverage for an additional premium.
- Property Insurance Coverage: To protect your business personal property as well as computer coverage and your equipment.
- Automobile Insurance Coverage: Automobile coverage can be used to cover vehicles that you own/ non-owned and hired autos. You want to be sure that employees, volunteers and the insured are all covered.
- Crime and Fidelity Bond Coverage: To protect against employee theft and forgery, as well as money & securities coverage and theft, disappearance and destruction of your client’s property.
- Professional Liability Insurance: Provides vicarious coverage for subcontractors as well as contingent and vicarious liability for employees and volunteers. You need professional liability regardless the skill of nursing care that you are providing. Malpractice liability looms over any line of work in the healthcare industry, even the smallest mistake can cost you dearly. Many smaller businesses do not have the ability to pay damages or the legal bills.
- Workers Compensation Insurance: You are required to provide coverage in case an employee is injured in the course of their employment. Many of our carriers offer pay-as-you-go workers compensation coverage, which allows you to better manage your cash flow.
- Cyber Liability Insurance / Data Breach Insurance When dealing with medical information on customers you are regulated by HIPPAA regulations. These strict regulations make it a necessity to protect the personal information of your clients including their medical information. Therefore, not only do you have both the 1st and 3rd party liabilities associated with a data breach but you also have regulatory fines and defense costs.
We are confident that your will find Huff Insurance to be the best solution for your business. We are committed to making your insurance buying process as simple as possible, doing our part in keeping your business successful. Contact us today to see what we can do to partner with you for your home health care insurance needs. Fill out a quote request or give us a call today at 410-647-1111.