Grilling Safety Tips
Are you worried about a grilling accident this summer?
According to the National Fire Safety Association, there are about 10,600 home grilling fires each year. And 4,900, almost half, of the fires result in damage to a structure or a home. These fires cause an estimated $135 million in direct property damage. So do you think grilling safety is important? Here ae some grilling safety tips.
I am sure most of the grillers involved in these grilling accidents thought that they were a safe griller. We all tend to think that these accidents cannot happen to us. But they can and they do.
GRILLING SAFETY TIPS FOR ALL GRILLS
- Your grill should be on a level surface away from anything that could be ignited by the flames (bushes, fences, etc.)
- Use long utensils and dress appropriately.
- NEVER use a grill indoors – Seems like common sense, but you’d be surprised that indoor grill fires do happen.
- Keep your grill clean and well-maintained. Check parts regularly and clean grates after each use.
- Never leave a hot grill unattended or let children play near it.
CHARCOAL GRILLING SAFETY TIPS
- Do not add lighter fluid directly on coals, and never use gasoline or kerosene.
- To dispose of coals, allow the ashes to cool for at least 48 hours before disposal in a non-combustible container. If you cannot wait 48 hours, carefully place coals individually in a can of sand or bucket of water.
GAS GRILLING SAFETY TIPS
- Check grill hoses for leaks each year- apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles. If you have a leak, and it will not stop after the grill and gas is turned off, call the fire department. Even if the leak stops when the grill and gas are turned off, have your grill serviced by a professional.
- If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill.
- Do not keep a filled propane tank in a hot car or trunk. When getting containers refilled, make that your last stop before going home.
- Store propane tanks in an upright position, and never indoors.
Huff insurance is a trusted choice independent insurance agent located in Pasadena MD. If you love to grill, keep these grilling safety tips at top of mind. If there is a mishap, you need to make sure you have the best home insurance for you and your family.