Will insurance cover the service lines coming into your home?
Understanding service line insurance coverage
Do you have service line insurance coverage?
What type of coverage do I need to cover the pipes and lines going from my home to the road?
Until recently, if you had a pipe or a service line that was damaged between the home and the road, there was no insurance coverage. The standard homeowners insurance policies do not cover the underground service lines. But now, many insurance carriers are offering options for service line insurance coverage.
Service line insurance coverage provides protection for costly and unexpected losses for the underground piping, valves, wiring, and other devices connecting a home to a service system.
The most common line claim is when a tree root grows through a sewer line. This requires excavation to dig up the pipe to repair or replace it.
Extreme cold weather days can cause a pipe leading from the street to the home to freeze and crack. Emergency repairs will need to be done. When the weather warms up, final repairs can be made. This may cause your family to make temporary living arrangements while the home is without water. Without service line insurance coverage, these bills are your to pay.
What types of claims are covered by service line coverage?
- Damage to an underground service line
- Costs required to replace or repair an underground service line
- Water service
- Waste disposal
- Natural gas lines
- Underground electrical or phone wiring
- Landscaping or concrete demolition and repair to access the underground service
- Additional living expenses incurred if the home is unlivable while the service line is unavailable
Service line failure may be caused by the following:
- Wear and tear, marring, deterioration, or hidden decay
- Rust or other corrosion
- Mechanical breakdown, latent defect, or inherent vice
- Weight of vehicles, equipment, animals, or people
- Vermin, insects, rodents or other animals
- Artificially generated electronical current
- Freezing or frost
- Tree or root invasion
- External force from shovel, backhoe, or other form of excavation
Service line insurance has been one of the most popular homeowners’ insurance endorsements that clients have been looking for. Each carrier varies on the amount of coverage available. But limits are generally $10,000, $15,000 or $20,000 limit.
The service line endorsement is relatively inexpensive. It is typically $40-$75 a year depending on the coverage limit.
Contact Huff Insurance
Not sure if you have service line coverage? Contact one of our experienced team members at Huff Insurance. Our team will be happy to work with you. Fill out the request form on this page or give us a call at 410-647-1111.