The Best Homeowners Insurance in Maryland
You should ask yourself, do you have the best homeowners insurance in Maryland?
Ok, so what is the best homeowners insurance in Maryland?
All of the TV commercials tend to make us believe that the price of the insurance is all that you should be thinking of when buying your home insurance. Well, our professionals at Huff Insurance take a different viewpoint.
The best home insurance really has nothing to do with who the insurance company is or how much money you are saving.
The answer to what is the best homeowners insurance really has to do with whether or not the insurance has the best coverage for your individual situation.
The best home insurance coverage will make sure that you do not have to rely on Go Fund Me or the Red Cross to help you get back on your feet or to find another place for you to live should a disaster strike.
Let’s start with why the price should not be the deciding factor in choosing the best homeowners insurance for you.
Here are some key things to look for in your home insurance coverage:
- Building Coverage – Has a proper replacement cost estimate been done to make sure you home is insured for the proper value. And check and make sure that you have the guaranteed replacement cost option added to your policy.
- Personal Property Coverage – Make sure that your coverage limit is enough to cover all of your personal belongings. Also make sure that you have a replacement cost option for your personal property as well. The last thing you want to happen is to have to get a new bed or television, only to find out that you don’t have replacement cost coverage. Because if not, then the company will pay you the depreciated value of the damaged property. SP a new TV could cost $900 and the company will only give you $150 for your 4 year old television.
- Scheduled Personal Property – Did you know that your home policy has coverage limitation for certain types of personal property? Like Jewelry, Firearms, collectibles, etc? If you have anything like this, you will most likely want to have the property specifically scheduled for coverage on your homeowners insurance policy. You van add what is called an Inland Marine Coverage endorsement to your policy or purchase a separate inland marine policy to cover these items. Doing this does two things. It specifically covers the property so the special policy limitations will not apply to the scheduled property. Also, it adds a valuable covered cause of lass to the items. This coverage is called Mysterious Disappearance. What is mysterious disappearance? This coverage is important, especially for jewelry, for those cases where you simply cannot locate the property and it has ‘disappeared”. In this case, there is no proof that the item was stolen, so there would not be coverage on your regular home insurance policy.
- Liability Insurance Limits – This coverage is extremely important for you to protect all of the assets that you have worked hard to earn over your lifetime. If you are sued for causing any property damage or bodily injury for a covered cause of loss, this coverage would be there to provide your defense costs and to cover any settlement or judgement that may be levied against you. Just think about being on a golf course and slicing your drive off of the par 5 tee. If that arrant drive strikes and injures to another golfer, you will be held liable for medical bills and lost wages for that fellow golfer. And if the injured party gets an attorney, the defense cost and settlements can get costly if you fo not have the proper home insurance liability. We also recommend that all homeowners add an extra layer of liability insurance in the form of an Umbrella Insurance Policy.
- Additional Living Expense Coverage – This important coverage will pay for you to live in a hotel, apartment, or another home while your home is uninhabitable and/or being repaired or re built due to a covered cause of loss.
- Other Structures Coverage – Do you have a separate structure on your property? This can be a detached garage, a shed, a fence, etc. If so, you want to make sure that your other structures overage is adequate to cover a loss to these structures. Just think about how mad the lady in the commercial would have been if the company told her that her “She Shed” was not properly insured.
These are some of the main things to look for when choosing the best homeowners insurance policy for your situations.
As you can see, there are many factors to pay attention to other than just simply the price of the insurance.
After all, would you want to try to save $100 if it meant that could have a policy weakness that could result in an uncovered loss of $10,000?
And also, some of the TV commercials make it look like their company is special by providing coverage for out of the ordinary circumstances. They imply that you may not get these coverages elsewhere, This is a bit misleading, as these situations would also be covered on home insurance policies for most other insurance companies.
So take a minute and contact on of the experienced local insurance professionals at Huff Insurance.
We are a Trusted Choice Independent Insurance Agent who have over a dozen options when it comes to writing your home insurance. So we can truly find you the right coverage at the right price!